Saturday 12 October 2024

September Road - Book Review

Book Title: 𝐒𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐑𝐨𝐚𝐝
𝑭𝒐𝒓𝒃𝒊𝒅𝒅𝒆𝒏 𝑺𝒊𝒍𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 #2
By Pax Sinclair


𝐒𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐲:

I’m a former Army Ranger, an Afghan vet that’s faced my share of battles, but nothing in my training has prepared me for the road trip I’m about to take alone with Riley, the daughter of my best buddy.

Josh and I grew up in a Vermont small town. We joined the Army after high school and we busted our asses to become Rangers. I’ll never forget the night he died on a mission in Afghanistan, leaving behind his young daughter Riley and his wife, Laci.

Years later, when Laci died, it became my duty to fulfill her final wish, to drive her daughter from New Mexico to Vermont to Josh’s mother, the only family Riley has left. While I take Riley to her grandmother, I’m to tell her about a father she doesn’t know and the harder memories of how Josh and Laci’s lives intertwined with mine.

Riley is a 20-year-old smoking hot beauty with sass, determination, and she won’t back down, especially from me. And yeah, she’s my type. Damn, she's more than just a temptation, she’s my best buddy's daughter. I know where my duty lies, so this brown-eyed girl is off limits.

I have to be honest with myself; there's no point in sugarcoating this situation. What could that princess see in a 40-year-old soldier still battling his own demons? Being in close quarters on a long road trip with her will be challenging enough, but staying true to my loyalty to Josh and protecting his daughter, even from my own feelings, will be the real test. I can do it. I can be a hard ass and complete the mission, but damn, she’s beautiful.


𝐑𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰:

The story deals with loss, grief, forgiveness, friendship, and an age- gap forbidden all-consuming love. 

Riley is a great character, so strong after all she's been through a lot but determined to live. She was smart, funny, but a risk taker. When Riley meets Stephens, sparks fly. The romance is top notch in the beginning when they both don't know each other. 

Later when Bank came to know that Riley's Josh kid and he's supposed to take her to Josh's mother house in Vermont,everything changes. He denies the fact that he wants her. He totally turns her down. But how long can he hold out? The harder they protest the better it is when they fall. 

Those first few chapters were slow but the interaction between Riley and Banks left me with an open jaw and I was sold. I just had to find out what would happen next. Lots of things happen and it is a good lengthy book. There are nice steamy scenes, humour and a great group of secondary characters, especially Max Stephens and Riley's grandmother and Creed (Riley's Ex boyfriend). The brotherhood between Josh and Banks Stephens explained well. 

This story takes us far past the exciting beginning of Stephens relationship with Riley's parents. I loved their story. There is also an incident that happens toward 3/4 of the way in the book that had me sobbing and going through the emotions with the characters. 

From the extremely hot scenes, to the great portrayal of military men and the women who love them, it was perfect. The writing is phenomenal. I was completely captivated with each introduction of the individual characters.  

Their relationship is not without its ups and downs, being far from perfect, but I loved it. They both seemed so right in their stubborn steadfastness to what they wanted and needed, and even when they were at odds you wanted them to win, to make it work. I found the last half of the book excruciating, it broke my heart more than once, leaving me with ugly cries and in despair. 

The characters pull you in and eventually drag you along with them whether you want to go or not. I could not put this book down and had to finish it in one reading. Who needs to sleep when you have characters keeping you awake? 

I loved the chemistry between Banks and Riley. Their bantering throughout the road trip was really funny and they were so good together. When they finally got together in all ways it was off the charts. But I also love the other relationships in this book. 

I loved the humor & the emotions within, I loved the characters and most of all, I loved the letters. Great secondary characters and I would read their stories if Pax chooses to write about them. Definitely one of the best books I've read so far this year.

𝐑𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 : 10/10
 

𝐀𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫:

Pax Sinclair is a contemporary romance novelist who explores the wild world of love and passion. Her novels feature biracial women in interracial relationships, guaranteed to keep you turning pages until the very end.

Prepare to meet a tantalizing cast of characters, from sizzling tech billionaires to swoon-worthy firefighters, hunky men in kilts, and even a hot Army Ranger.

Lose yourself in a steamy rollercoaster ride of emotions and crazy twists, leading to an oh-so-satisfying conclusion.


No comments:

Post a Comment

He Spoke After Ten Years - Book Review

Title: He Spoke After Ten Years Author : Apurva Mathur Pages : 260 Publisher : Notion Press Blurb: Mumbai. 2021. An ordinary man...